Friday, January 16, 2009

Grammar

Someone I know says "until" when she means "as long as". For example, "Until we're alive, we have to deal with what life gives us."

So are we in some kind of purgatory limbo, dealing with life, but not really alive?

Anyway, I'm not going to mince words, I'm a stickler for proper grammar. Hearing a syntax malfunction makes me cringe, and using commas when you're talking about plurals ("My dog's are so cool!") causes me to die a little on the inside. I won't hesitate to correct you either, even if it means that you'll hate me forever for being that annoying grammar-freak.

Maybe I should spend my energy on better things, but is it really wrong to want the world to speak properly? Don't get me wrong, I'm not against slang, and I will talk like a street thug when the mood hits, but luckily it doesn't hit often. There's just a time and a place for everything.

I don't know, I guess constant bad grammar makes a person look uneducated in my eyes.

Now I'm gonna cut the person I know some slack, because English was not her first language, and these people are safe from my wrath. It's not an easy language to learn. For the rest of you, there is no excuse.

Off to upgrade my spellcheck.

No comments: