Monday, February 9, 2009

Maybe later...

I was supposed to learn how to do a new task this morning, reporting agents' results for the past week, so I can back-up the lady that already does it.

Well, it's not exactly new, because I've done it for at least three years, but we have two divisions in our sales force, and I only know how to report for one, so my boss was supposed to come in to train me on the other way. Well, wouldn't you know it, he's sick this morning, so the poor woman has to do the work after all.

I'm not complaining, because it looks a lot more complicated reporting for this division, and I still have some reporting to do in the old way, but on the other hand, I wish I DID have this training.

What I really want to say is that if an opportunity comes up where you get to learn something new, take it. It never ever hurts to gain knowledge. Okay, maybe it might hurt in that the more you know, the more work they'll make you do, but you never know where the knowledge will take you.

For instance, my boss told me to get a life insurance license. Not a stretch when you work for an insurance company, but I'm not an agent. I don't work in the field, so I don't need it. Still, learning what I needed to in order to get it, and passing the exam was such a thrill, and if they decide one day to promote someone, they may choose someone with a license over one without.

Next week my boss will probably feel better and we can get started on this training, but apparently it takes a while to learn, and the lady who normally does the work will be on vacation week after next, so someone has to do it properly by then. Hope I can do it!

No comments: