Monday, February 2, 2009

Ch-ch-ch-chaaaaaaaaanges....

So like I said a few posts back, we lost a few people last week, and we'll probably lose more. Now, we've got people from the company that bought us out back in April "kicking the tires" again, so to speak. A bunch of them came from their Philadelphia, PA office to our humble Markham, ON headquarters to size up the real estate. The gossip of the day is they're either going to move their Toronto people to our Markham building, or move whoever is left of us to their Toronto building.

Now, I'm torn about this.

The Yay argument:

I am a city girl at heart. I grew up in the 'burbs, and have always worked in the 'burbs, but I loooooove the city proper, and nothing would thrill me more than being part of the hustle and bustle of downtown Toronto. I'd love being able to hop on the subway and get where I have to go in no time instead of sitting in a car getting no where. Plus, I'd probably never go home after work, I'd be shopping so much. And I don't normally like shopping!

The Nay argument:

I don't live in an area that has access to the Toronto Transit system. I'd have to either drive to the closest subway station (which takes over half an hour with no traffic and nice weather), or take a GO Train (which is part of a company which luckily provides transportation to a wider geographical area) to Toronto's Union Station, then catch a subway to where I have to go. This will cause me to most likely have to get up earlier than I already do, which will make me quite the crank. Also, it's not just myself I have to worry about. As previously mentioned, I work with my mother. She worked with this same company since 1973, and they were in Toronto at that time. She's had her fill of hopping trains to get to work. If I think she complains of a little traffic now, just wait until the train is delayed!

I could be contemplating our future location pre-emptively. Maybe the "parent company" will continue their cheap streak and put their Toronto people with us so that they're paying less rent. It's too early to know, but something is in the works. I just hope it works.

No comments: